Skip to content

nyc: day 2

June 8, 2010

On Monday I slept until I woke up. That is the perfect way to greet the morning. I think the older I get the less I become a morning person. Well, I should say, the more and more I treasure my sleep. I do enjoy the mornings: waking up to the cheery sun, sitting on the patio with a cup of coffee, feeling the early warmth of the day creeping into every cell of my body. I would consider myself a morning person when I can wake up like that. But not to an alarm. I always set mine on vibrate so that I don’t have to hear an overly annoying sound breaking the peaceful silence.

So, I slept until I woke up on Monday morning in NYC. I read more of book #1 that I brought and Mom went down to the 2nd floor and got coffee and bagels and fruit. It was a perfect waking up, relaxing morning. Once we both were ready, we headed out for Saks 5th Avenue. Now I could face the three story H & M prepared. I had seen some things that I wanted to get the day before. The store was quieter Monday morning and it was easier to think. We went to a couple of other stores, mainly just walked and window shopped, felt the pulse of the city.

We headed to Times Square. My impression? Crowded, hot, touristy and over done. But that’s just me. I like the simple, out-of-the-way places that have a unique charm or beauty. We took pictures and then headed to Central Park, back to the simple, but not necessarily the out-of-the-way. 


We worked our way north in Central Park, enjoying the quieter parts where every square inch wasn’t being taken up by families picnicking (Memorial Day), couples playing badminton, someone napping on a blanket, riding bikes, running, climbing the rocks, talking, lauging. At one place we found a quieter walk lined with benches where people sat reading or talking or people watching or playing an instrument.

We eventually made it to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We thought to ask about a military discount and both got in for free ($40 saved). We enjoyed the coolness of the museum, viewing the different exhibits, travelling from Greece to Africa to Great Britain to the King’s Armory and finally to the Temple of Dendur on the Nile. We took a lot of pictures. It was the perfect museum experience.

We decided to head back to 5th Avenue and go to H & M again. Couldn’t resist. We headed back to our hotel and ended up stopping at a perfect, Italian restaurante that opened onto a sidewalk patio. I will blog about our food experience there in another post, but it was wonderful. It started to rain a little, but we were dry under the wide awning. The smell of wet pavement and delicious dishes mixed with the sounds of tinkling glasses and conversation. It makes me think of the delightful “fading together” found everywhere we went. The combination of the simple and elegant, the swirl of languages – Italian, English, Spanish, French, German – that made me forget at times I was in the United States, the kaleidoscope of color and sound and tastes and smells, a perfect “fading together” that generates the pulse of the city. NYC.

On the way back from the Met to Saks 5th, Mom and I stopped in a little park area set in between tall buildings and busy crossroads. There was a beautiful fountain, stone benches, plenty of people watching to be had. I used my tired feet as an excuse to sit and soak it all in. I was afraid that our visit would go by and I would forget to really take it in, that it would just fly by my senses without being absorbed. So we stopped. We took it in. We absorbed. Day 2 in NYC.

  1. It looks like you guys had so much fun! I love the first photo…you look so cute!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: